Angled Tilt Tray Supports Ergonomic & Productive Picking
Carton flow is an efficient inventory storage solution for case and each picking operations. Equipping your carton flow rack with a customizable tilt tray further improves ergonomic positioning for workers… and the more ergonomic the picking, the better your order fulfillment productivity and accuracy.
Just in time for the holiday rush…
Check out our system pictures from a recent installation of Dyna-Flo HD carton flow with tilt tray for a national wine & spirits distributor. This application is more unique than usual in that the tilt trays are angled just slightly upward to allow for the cases to positioned on their sides without the top-heavy wine bottle inventory falling from the cases.
How the System Works
- Cases loaded from charge (load) aisle flow to opposite discharge (pick) aisle.
- The charge aisle is equipped with impact trays to protect the carton flow wheels and rails from damage with repeated heavy-case loading.
- As cases fill the pick face, they’re opened for bottle picking…
- Cases on the upper shelves are gently placed on their sides on the reverse-angled tilt tray.
- The bottom-level tilt tray is angled down as is typically seen, to allow the cases to remain upright. This is the most efficient picking position from this level in the pick module.
- Eaches are picked and loaded into waiting cases on the adjacent push conveyor for order processing.
Customer Need – Met & Exceeded
The project started with a small “quick pick” section of carton flow which discharges under a 75” clear trash conveyor (photo right). To optimize this space, the best approach was to pick from the front of the case… which meant laying cases on their sides. With top-heavy wine bottles this would not have been possible without the tilt tray that could be angled at a 1” reverse slope… keeping everything in place. This pick area was so successful that the same concept was applied to the larger each pick area for slightly slower moving SKUs – photos below.
We tell our customers to expect creative solutions that work for them… and this case pick application fits the bill! What case picking or pallet storage challenges are you facing? Are you unsure if your operation and warehouse space are optimized for your operation? Give the Mallard team a call. We’ll discuss your operational concerns and come up with creative solutions to meet your needs… and we can test your systems in our in-house testing lab before you buy to ensure the system you order is just what you need!