Customers want choices. They want their products in stock and orders shipped fast, leaving logistics and DC operators scrambling to handle more SKUs with quicker than ever turnarounds. Not easy! Add the high cost of labor and space and they need some easy, affordable strategies to move more products quickly and accurately.
Here you go…. 4 Tips for Fast, Accurate Carton Flow Order Picking.
1) Consolidate Slow SKUs in Carton Flow
This is the first step. Move the slower case and each picks out of the pallet rack, floor stack and shelving and into carton flow bays or pick modules. You’ll condense order picking in a smaller footprint, increase pick locations – by as much as 40 slots per bay, and boost productivity by reducing labor travel time for order selectors.
Why Carton Flow?
- Save space – up to 50% vs. static rack
- Increase pick locations – up to 40 slots per bay
- Reduce travel time and equipment requirements
- Decrease labor costs – by as much as 50%
- Increase productivity
2) Add a Carton Flow Tilt Tray to the System
There’s no question, picking cases from carton flow vs. selective rack saves time and space, but standard case flow with flush shelf facings can have some limitations, especially for each-pick applications. Consider adding a tilt-tray for these item locations. Cartons flow from load end as in a typical system, with the first carton pushed gently onto a tilted tray located at the discharge side. Cartons placed in the tilted position adds better visibility and accessibility.
Tilt Tray Advantages
- Better visibility to ensure picking accuracy
- Easy access for each picking from carton and totes
- More ergonomic – requiring less bending and reaching
- Custom sizes for all applications
3) Consider Dyna-Flo Carton Flow for Easy Re-Slotting
Conventional carton flow relies on individual wheeled tracks installed on shelf or rack frames for specific carton sizes. These systems are simple and cost-effective but also labor intensive for product mix changes – tracks have to be lifted and re-installed for new carton shapes and sizes. Mallard’s Dyna-Flo is a flexible, time-saving alternative – full-width wheel bed accommodates multiple carton sizes on each shelf level for easy product slotting and re-slotting.
- Easily drops into existing pallet rack
- Full wheel bed accommodates cartons of all sizes and shapes
- Simple, easy product reprofiling
- Consolidates and increases pick slots
4) Use Lane Dividers
Full lane or entry dividers aren’t necessary for proper flow, but can create better lane visibility for case replenishment and picking activities.
- Full Lane Dividers – easily drop in place along the full shelf bed
- Entry Guides – bright durable guides snap into place anywhere on the shelf bed and can quickly be moved for new lane configurations
Need Product Slotting Help? No problem. Using your inventory and SKU velocity reports, Mallard’s carton flow specialists will help you design the optimal product configuration for maximum picking efficiency.