Mallard Improves Case Picking from Floor-Level Pallet Flow with Flex Separator
High-volume, case picking is labor intensive, and therefore a costly operation. Mallard floor-level pallet flow equipped with the Flex Separator (FS 200) will shave minutes per pallet, plus improve worker safety, and avert inventory damage to add positive results to your bottom-line.
As seen in our 3D animated video, floor-mounted pallet flow provides ready reserve pallets for a more efficient picking operation, but what makes this design so effective is the addition of the Flex Separator mounted directly into the flow lane. The Flex Separator holds the rear pallets back 4”- 6” behind the front pallet, essentially isolating that pallet.
How does 4” to 6” make such a difference? That small separation between the front discharge pallet and the rear pallets removes the back pressure that would otherwise rest upon it. FS 200 also eliminates the danger of the rear pallet hanging up on the front pallet. With the pallets separated, the empty pallet can be quickly and easily removed without fear of worker injury or reserve inventory damage.Why is removing back pressure important?
Back pressure is approximately 6% of the full weight of all rear pallets combined. As an example:
- 5-deep pallet flow system with 2,500 lb. pallet loads
Back pressure = .06 x 2,500 lbs. x 4 pallets = 600 lbs.
- 19-deep pallet flow system with 2,500 lb. pallet loads
Back pressure = .06 x 2,500 lbs. x 19 pallets = 2,850 lbs.
Add 600 lbs. or more of pressure to pallet after pallet and that becomes one very long and eventually injury-prone day. However, with the Flex Separator, once the isolated empty pallet is easily removed, the worker simply presses a foot-operated release button to allow the rear pallets to index forward in a controlled manner and start the process over again.
Advantages of the Flex Separator for Floor-Level Case Picking from Pallet Flow:
- Eliminates back pressure for floor-level case picking
- Recommended for 3-8 deep case picking applications
- Use with all pallet flow track types – wheel and roller
- Foot-operated release automatically releases rear pallets to fill the pick face
- Install in new or retrofit existing floor-level pallet flow
Depending on your lane design, Mallard also offers several pallet flow accessories that can further improve the function and longevity of your system.
- Speed Controllers – drop-in or indirect-mount, these braking devices slow advancing pallets and maintain a controlled, even pallet tracking down the lane.
- Entry Guides – mounted left and right of the charge end of the system assist forklift drivers in centering pallets for quicker, trouble-free pallet loading.
- Ramp Stops – bolt-on accessory gently slows pallet to a stop at the discharge end, or pick face, and helps hold pallet securely in the lane.
Download our Pallet Separator Brochure to learn more about the Flex Separator and to see the complete line of customized pallet flow lane separators available from Mallard.
Call the Mallard team for design ideas and to schedule an in-house pallet flow test to see for yourself the difference that a customized floor-level pallet flow lane with the Flex Separator can make for your picking operation.
1-800-243-6694 US Only